Tuesday, November 23, 2010

KPMG Lugano office visit

I was looking at global opportunities through KPMG one day and happened to notice they had an office only 15 minutes away in Lugano, Switzerland. When I discovered this I immediately contacted my recruiter back at Tech who helped me set up an office visit. The weekend before our second day 10 trip I took the train to Lugano and met with Ryan Kelley, an audit manager in the office. We had lunch at a restaurant in town and talked about our experiences abroad. It turns out he had lived in one state almost his whole life and this was the first time he had lived abroad. We talked about the challenges we'd faced thus far in our abroad experiences, one of course was the train system- whether it be a strike, when/where to buy your ticket, delays, and unannounced train construction and rerouting...it seems there no train ride is ever uneventful (especially in Italy). It was good to know he didn't actually know Italian before moving to Lugano and was able to take an intensive language course and still take the abroad opportunity. I asked Ryan if he was planning on taking another international rotation and he said that although he had had a great time, they wanted to move back to the states to be closer to family again. After lunch, we walked to the office where I got to meet several other managers and employees. The office was much smaller than the Tyson's office I visited this summer, probably around 20 people. I actually met the man who works with the administrator at the villa in Riva, and it turns out that do the audit for the program here, such a small world!

I'm so glad I had the opportunity to visit an international office and talk with someone with experience working abroad. Now that I have the travel bug, I really hope I have the opportunity to work abroad when I enter the work force.

No comments:

Post a Comment